Monday, June 30, 2008

Marriages are made in heaven...

Yesterday(Sunday) was well spent, as I had the chance to meet a few good friends( batch mates) from my almamater on the occasion of the wedding reception of Sameer azeez, one of our friends. The travel to and fro Ponnanni( Kerala), where the function was held , witnessed some of the most hilarious moments in recent times in my life. It seemed like Rajeesh, PK, java, shibu , shanavas and others were synergised with one another’s presence, and everyone competed impulsively in creating lighter moments, though there were no prizes to be won other than creating magical moments to cherish for long.
Ever since I posted the wedding snaps of my friends, who had the ‘honour’ of having me attend their weddings, I have been getting lots of scraps in my orkut account. The crux of these scraps boiled down basically to two matters:
1. ‘When am i going to add my wedding photo in orkut album?’
Now , this one question has been volleyed to me from all corners ever since I celebrated my 25th year of presence in this planet.(not that it was not asked prior to 14-02-06, but i feel it was asked in a serious note and repetitive fashion, post this date).Whenever I visit my relatives, meet old schoolmates, have informal pleasantries with my clients after the official business , or attend social functions, it has become a routine for me to reply to this boring and dry question. I believe, the feeling a person gets when he is asked the same question time and again, is nothing different from dryness and irritation. So, is the case with me. This q has lost all its charm in my life, to the extent that I have become allergic to this q. I wonder what the big pleasure is derived by the questioner when he asks this hollow question?
2. ‘I am lucky to have attended these many weddings’
This question, though repeated many a times, is something which I would love to address and answer today. Coz it was never, sheer luck that enabled me to grace these many weddings. It was the result of a conscious attempt. An attempt to stay in my homecountry, so that i can be an integral part of such social and family occasions. It is the fruit of the strict practice of my desire to attend all(to the best of my capacity) functions to which i have been invited wholeheartedly. I always believe that when a person invites us to an event in his/her life, he sincerely wants us to grace the function with our presence and add glitter to his D-day by participating fullhearteldy. In my experience, seldom does a man behave hypocritically by making the invitation on one side and praying for the invitee’s absence on the other. At least, i believe it has not happened to me.
I remember being told that Indian marriages are the forefathers to the modern day orientation n induction programs held for the freshers in the corporate world. Just like a fresher is oriented about the companies’ policies/priniciples and his roles and responsibilities in the organisation, the Indian bride too is inducted into the groom’s house through an orientation held part of the marriage function. It is said, this is why we have week long celebrations in connection with weddings contrary to the present trend of displaying opulence in the nuptial extravaganzas, as in the weddings of Arun Nayar-Liz Hurley or LN Mitals’ daughter. The week long celebrations facilitate in augmenting the bonding between the two families of the bride and groom.
In the present day life of fast pace, there is no wonder that the week long celebrations of yesterdecades have been cut short to crisp twoday(as in Brahmin weddings in the south) or one day functions. But, marriages still serve the primary purpose of bridging the gaps between two families and uniting them to form a single cohesive mega family.
I have a feeling that our generation has less regard to these theories as we are so deeply engrossed in our own nitty-gritties in life that we forget the other person’s life. I think I shouldn’ blame people who even neglect to show courtesy of sending RSVPs or wishes , if he is not able to attend the function, for i believe they have their own rationales(although such rationale are hard nuts for me to crack).
But since I am a positive thinker , i believe things will change and every one of us will have more time to attend social get-togethers and marriage functions.
They say marriages are made in heaven!!!
I wish Sameer-Maleeha the best of heaven on earth!!!

No comments: